Credit Cards on Mobile: Entering Payments
There are two ways to record a payment to your card: by entering it or importing it. Either way, the payment transaction needs to be a transfer.
- Tap the + icon to add a transaction.
- Enter the amount you sent to the credit card company and tap the toggle to make it a green inflow.
- In the Payee field, choose the account from which you're making the payment. You're just shifting money from one account to another here, so no category is needed.
- Be sure the Account is set to the Credit Card account, and you're all set!
If you're using Direct Import, the payment you already made won't import as a transfer the first time. Left this way, the payment won't pull the money from your credit card payments category. Here's how to make that connection.
- Tap on the credit card account, then on transaction that imported.
- Select the imported payee to open the drop-down menu. At the top of the list, you'll see your Payments and Transfers options.
- Choose "Payment from: Checking" – or whichever account you used to make the payment.
- Your transfer will now be seen in both accounts. If you've already imported the payment in the other account, it will have matched with this transfer and need approval.
As long as your bank uses the same payee name for your future credit card payments, YNAB will know to make them a transfer, and all you'll need to do is approve them!