Making a Transfer on Mobile
Have you moved money from one physical (you know, real-world) account to another and need to reflect that in YNAB? No problem, it's easy in the mobile app. How your transfer is recorded depends on how those real-world accounts are set up in YNAB.
Entering a Transfer
If you've made a transfer between real-world accounts and both of those accounts are set up in YNAB, you’ll be making a transfer in the app.
How to Enter a Transfer on Mobile
- From the Accounts tab, choose the account the money is leaving.
- Tap the Transaction (+) button at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter the amount, making sure the toggle is set to Outflow.
- Tap the Payee field and start typing "Transfer".
- Choose the transfer payee for the account you're transferring money to.
- You'll only need to choose a category if you're making a transfer between a budget account and a tracking account—because that means those dollars are either leaving or entering your budget.
- That's it! Tap Save and the transfer transaction will show up in both accounts.
For transfers from one budget account to another, no category is needed, because the money is not leaving your budget. If those dollars should now have a different job in your budget, your next step is to move money.
Transfers between tracking accounts don't need a category either, because the money is not in your budget.
When a Transfer Isn't a Transfer
Real-world transfers should only be entered as transfers in YNAB if both accounts are set up in YNAB. If the sending account is the only one set up in YNAB, this is a spending transaction. If the receiving account is the only one set up in YNAB, it's an income transaction.
For linked accounts, transfers will import once they clear. If it's the first transfer between two particular accounts, YNAB won't know to make it a transfer, so it will import as a regular ol' transaction.
If you enter the transfer before it imports though—using the steps above—they'll automatically match up.
Otherwise, you can make it a transfer by changing the payee to the Transfer Account option.
How to Manually Set an Imported Transaction to a Transfer
- Open up the specific transaction that imported.
- Tap the Payee field to change it to the appropriate Transfer Account section. (For example, search to find the "Transfer : Savings" or "Transfer : Checking" payee in your payee list).
- Tap Save.
- You'll then see one side of the transfer in each account.
- If you had already imported the other side of the transfer (in the other account), it should match up and just need approval.
Going forward, as long as your bank uses the same payee, YNAB will know to make it a transfer automatically. All you'll need to do is approve the match!