Making a Fresh Start on Mobile
There's nothing wrong with starting again. In fact, it often means more success in the long run.
Whether you want to move on from a first budget, your life and priorities have changed, your (ahem) budgeting habits went south, or you just want a new view of your money (old budgets can be full of old habits, after all), try a Fresh Start.
How to Make a Fresh Start on Mobile
- Tap the More Menu (three dots icon) located on the top left for iOS, top right on Android.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Make a Fresh Start. Don't worry—a copy of your current (now old!) budget will be archived with today's date, which you can reference anytime by choosing Open Budget in the More menu. It will be saved as the original budget name with (Archived on [date]) after it.
- Want to customize the Fresh Start budget's name? Repeat steps one and two, selecting Budget Settings to change the name, so you can easily tell the Fresh Start budget apart from the original!
- In your Fresh Start budget, you'll see your account names, scheduled transactions, targets, notes, payees, and budget categories. Even your Direct Import connections will all be brought into the new budget for you. All transaction and budget data will be cleared out so you can start fresh.
- Then, you'll add your account balances as of today. If you need a refresher, be sure to check out our Ultimate Getting Started Guide.
- Assign your money down to your categories!
When you make a fresh start, it's like a new budget in that you haven't given any of your dollars jobs yet. YNAB doesn't take category amounts from your old budget, so make sure to assign money for both your credit card payment and savings categories, if you have them, before assigning the rest of the money in your accounts to other categories. That way you'll know you're starting off on the right foot.
How to Stop Recurring Transactions and Imports in Your Previous Budget
We recommend deleting Scheduled Transactions and unlinking accounts in your previous budget so that your account balances remain as they were when you did the Fresh Start. Here's how to do that!
- Tap the More menu (three dots icon) at the top of your budget.
- Choose Open Budget.
- Select your previous budget, which will be saved as the original budget name (Archived on [date]).
- Once your previous budget is open, you can delete any Scheduled Transactions.
- Tap the Accounts tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the account you'd like to unlink.
- Tap the three dot icon at the top of the screen.
- Select Edit Account.
- Tap Unlink Account.
- Repeat steps six through nine for any other linked accounts in the archived budget.
- Don't forget to switch back to your current version of the budget when you're done!
Enjoy your new budget!