Linking an Account on Mobile
Direct Import helps make sure you have all your transactions in YNAB. Transactions import once they clear your bank (which can take a day or two), so it's best to record your spending right away. When transactions are imported, they'll match right up with the ones you entered—and you'll know you haven't missed any.
In This Article
Linking a New Account
To add an account and link it to your financial institution, start by tapping Accounts > Add Accounts (under Manage) > Linked.
- Then, select from your list of connections or add a connection and search for your financial institution by name or URL. If this is your first connection, you'll skip right to the searching.
- Enter your login credentials and follow the prompts. If you run into an error, try these troubleshooting steps or Skip to set up an Unlinked account.
- Select the account you'd like to add. Then, give the account a nickname if you'd like, and tap Next.
- If you added a credit card account, you'll see the option to set a goal to pay off your starting balance. Otherwise, you're done. Success!
Can't find your bank?
If you search for your financial institution and come up empty, you'll see an option to suggest an institution. If you don't see the option to suggest an institution, that means your bank was automagically suggested to be added. We can't guarantee if or when a new institution may be added, but your request will help our Direct Import provider prioritize which banks to add next.
In the meantime, you'll be able to import transactions from a file downloaded from your bank as a quick and easy alternative to Direct Import!
What to Expect After Linking
Once you link an account, YNAB will import the opening balance of that day. If you have any transactions that clear on that same day, they'll be available to import soon after. Transactions that cleared before the date of the starting balance will not import, and as your pending transactions clear, they'll become available within 24 hours. Going forward, your balance will be updated by transactions that are added to the account register.
If you have any transactions to import, approve, or categorize, you'll see a red dot on the Accounts tab at the bottom of the screen:
When you tap Accounts, you'll see a bright blue banner at the top letting you know you have transactions to import, approve, or categorize. Go ahead, tap it!
Once the transactions have imported, tap one, select a category, and hit Approve! Wash, rinse, and repeat until you've approved and categorized all of your transactions.
As you spend, you should still enter transactions in the mobile app! Once those transactions clear your bank and import, they’ll match right up (as long as they’re the exact amount and within 10 days of each other). You can also manually match an imported transaction with one you entered.
If this is an Investment or Loan account, see more information here.
Linking an Existing Account
If you've already added an account to YNAB, and you'd like to get it linked to your bank, follow these steps:
- Reconcile your account. (This helps limit the possibility of duplicate transactions.)
- Tap the Accounts icon.
- Select the account you want to link.
- Tap the three dots in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select Edit Account and Link Account.
- Follow the prompts. If you run into an error, try these troubleshooting steps.
Having trouble linking an account?
Check out our troubleshooting article, but whatever you do—don't let it stop you from budgeting! Enter your transactions when you're on-the-go or try File-Based Importing on the web app. It's as simple as dragging and dropping a file into YNAB!