Troubleshooting Linked Accounts on Mobile
Direct Import is amazing. But there are quite a few moving parts, and sometimes they need an adjustment.
In This Article
- Establishing an Initial Connection
- Transactions are not importing.
- My connection stopped working.
- My financial institution isn't listed.
Establishing an Initial Connection
If you're unable to connect, here are some things to try:
- Make sure you select the correct financial institution by checking the URL listed under each name.
- Remove the connection and re-connect the account(s). This often gets confused with the Disconnect button, which is different. And don't worry, you won't need to remove the account, just the connection!
- Log in with the primary account holder's credentials.
- Log in to your institution directly and navigate to your account summary view. Then, try to connect in YNAB.
- Check YNAB's status page for current widespread issues.
- Right now, our Direct Import partners are unable to support passwords that contain a pipe “|”, tilde “~”, or angle bracket "< or >". If you update your password to remove those characters, you should be able to connect.
- If your password is longer than 32 characters, try shortening your password.
- Are you using a Password Manager? Try entering your log in credentials manually.
- The default language for your online banking platform must be set to English.
Give it a little time
There's a lot going on under the hood to get you connected, so issues often clear up on their own within a few hours. If you've already tried removing and re-adding the connection and still haven't been able to connect for 24 hours, send us a message! We'll work with our Direct Import partner to get you squared away.
We'll need you to tell us:
- that you've already tried removing the connection so we don't ask you to do that!
- the full name of the financial institution.
- the URL you use to log in to their online banking platform.
I'm connected, but transactions aren't importing.
New transactions should be available to import no more than 48 hours after they clear your bank—with one exception. Most connections to tracking accounts such as investment and loan accounts will only import a starting balance. Manual adjustments will need to be made after that point to keep your balance up-to-date.
When you see a New Transactions Banner at the top of your account register, you'll know you have transactions ready to import! Tap on the Banner and transactions will flow in.
For all other account types, verify your account is linked to the corresponding bank connection and you're logged in under the primary account holder's credentials. If you are, and transactions have cleared your bank more than 48 hours ago, but are still not importing, send us a message!
We'll need the following information:
- the name of your financial institution.
- the name of the account(s) not importing.
- the date and amount of a few transactions that haven't imported, but cleared your bank account 3+ days ago.
New Credit Card?
If you've been issued a new credit card for an existing account, there's no need to remove the connection or move over transaction history within YNAB! Instead, simply unlink from your old credit card and link it up to the new one. If that new card is missing, let us know the information above and we can look into it for you.
My connection stopped working.
If your Direct Import connection has been working just fine, but all of a sudden stopped importing transactions, the first thing to do is log into your financial institution's website. There might be a roadblock type of alert you need to acknowledge—or their site might be down.
Also, check YNAB's status page for current widespread issues.
Remove the Connection
If there isn't an issue on the status page, and you can log in to your financial institution's website and navigate to your accounts just fine, the next step is to remove the connection and then reconnect your account(s).
Give it a little time.
If you still can't connect after 48 hours, send us a message! Be sure to include the name of your bank and the URL for their login page – and let us know you already tried removing the connection!
My financial institution isn't listed.
In effort to provide a more reliable Direct Import experience (and faster customer support!), we are currently supporting a smaller number of financial institutions than we have in the past – especially those outside the US or Canada.
When connecting an account, if you search for bank that isn't in the list, you'll see the option to suggest an institution:
After filling out the form, you can choose to add a Unlinked account. You'll still be able to import transactions from a file downloaded from your bank as a quick and easy alternative to Direct Import, and of course our mobile apps—available on both Android and iOS—for easy on-the-go entry! Even with Direct Import, it's a great practice to enter transactions right away, instead of waiting for them to clear the bank and import into YNAB – that way you can always trust your budget!
My account isn't listed.
If your connection isn't showing all of your accounts under those login credentials, you'll want to make sure the missing account has been visible on your bank's website for at least two days.
If it has, open up a incognito/private window and log in to YNAB again. Then, remove and re-add the connection. This is different than unlinking an individual account, though you will need to re-link them. Don’t worry—you won’t lose any transaction data!
If the account still doesn’t appear, send us a message. Be sure to include these things:
- The name of the missing account(s), as your bank lists it.
- The last four digits of the account number, if possible.
Send a Message
If you've tried the troubleshooting steps provided, and your connection still isn't working, it's time to send us a message. You have some options: