Adding Transactions on Mobile
You can add transactions—and import them!—right in the mobile app.
Adding your transactions right as they happen is the best way to have the most up-to-date category balances. If you import transactions, they'll automatically match up and mark the ones you added as cleared.
To add a transaction:
Tap the Transaction icon.
- Indicate whether the transaction is an Expense or Income by toggling the (red/green) switch in the top left corner.
- Enter the amount using the number pad.
- Choose a Payee or create a new one. (psst! Seeing a little globe icon? That means you have the Geo Payees feature turned on.)
- Select your category, account, and date.
- Tap Save Transaction.
If this transaction used up more money than you had in a category, it’s time to head to the budget and use Rule Three to roll with it.
With a linked account, it's easy to make sure you have all your transactions in YNAB, keeping you and your budget up to date.
When there are new transactions available to import, you'll see this bright blue banner at the top of your list of Accounts.
Tap it to import, approve, and categorize transactions!
Matching and Unmatching
Imported transactions will match right up with those you added—as long as the amounts are the same and the transaction dates are within 10 days.
If two transactions didn't match, because they were in two different accounts, had different amounts, or were more than 10 days apart—you can still match them.
These steps are the most universal:
- Go to Accounts > All Accounts.
Select the two transactions that need to be matched.*
Tap More, then Match.
*Matching with a split transactions requires the two transactions amounts to be exactly the same.
For transactions that haven't already been matched, you also have the option to select it, tap More, and then Match to see if there are any suggested matches (within 1 unit of your currency).
If an imported transaction ever happens to match up with the wrong transaction in your register, you have the option to unmatch it.
- Tap the transaction with the chain icon.
- Tap Unmatch.
- Then approve or reject the imported transaction.