Quick Budget on Mobile
When the month rolls over in YNAB, all of the amounts in your Budgeted column will go back to $0.00, while the positive amounts in your Available column stay the same. Quick Budget = simple budgeting (and math!), which keeps you focused on your decisions.
What To Expect
When no categories are selected, Quick Budget options reflect the entire budget—but only those where you haven't already budgeted. Quick Budgeting will not change the Budgeted values you've already entered unless you specifically select the category first.
You'll see a preview of how each option will impact your Budget. Tap to select, then on the blue checkmark to confirm, or tap the X to cancel. See how each one works below!
With Multiple Categories Selected
Find the Lightning Bolt icon in the upper left (on iOS) or upper right (on Android) corner of your screen and give it a tap. You can select specific categories or leave all unselected to fund the entire budget at once.
- Underfunded: This option will budget enough to cover overspending, upcoming transactions, and goal targets.
- Budgeted Last Month: Some budgeted amounts just don’t change. Use this option to budget the same amount as the previous month.
- Spent Last Month: If you feel like the previous month’s spending was a pretty good example for the current month, fire up this option.
- Average Budgeted: A 1-to-12 month rolling average of the budgeted value for this category, not including the current month.
- Average Spent: The not-so hidden gem of Quick Budgeting. Spending averages are super-honest. This is an average of up to the last 12 months. Use it as the basis for your budget and you’ll likely be right on target.
With a Single Category Selected
You can also fund categories individually by first selecting the category and tapping the Quick Budget Lightning Bolt in the category menu.
Additional Quick Budget tools at the individual category level:
- Upcoming Transactions: Do you have a scheduled transaction for this category? Click here and you’ll instantly budget what you need to be ready for it.
- Goal Target: Do you have a monthly funding goal, or a target balance by date goal? Way to plan ahead! This option will budget what is needed to keep you on track.
💡 Remember: it is important to only budget money you already have. If Quick Budgeting ever turns To be Budgeted red, make adjustments until it returns to a happy, green $0.00.
- To check your Goal totals, flip forward to a future month. Tap on Quick Budget, and when no categories are selected, Underfunded will show the sum of the goals you’ve set. Make sure to tap X to cancel if you're not ready to budget yet!
- See what you budgeted in a previous month without switching months by tapping on Quick Budget and referring to Budgeted Last Month:
- With no categories selected (Entire Budget), you’ll see the total budgeted in the previous month.
- Tap to select a category or category group to narrow it down further, like how much you spent in the Grocery category last month! 🛒