Goals on Mobile
When you set goals, you stay in the game and you keep budgeting. Whether your ambition is to finally pay your electric bill on time or pay for your next car in cash, reaching budgeting goals always feels good. 😎
There are five types of goals: three for spending categories and two for your Credit Card Payment categories.
Needed For Spending
- Weekly: Budget and Spend up to this amount each week. You can also choose which day you would like your week to roll over. For example, set a goal to budget $100 for groceries each week by Friday. You’ll be prompted to budget until you’ve satisfied your weekly goal total for the month—this will be based on how many Fridays are in a given month.
- Monthly: Budget and spend up to this amount each month. For example, set a goal to budget $300 for auto insurance each month and spend up to $300 in a month.
When using Weekly or Monthly goals, if you don't spend all your budgeted funds in the current month, the remaining amount will contribute to the next month's goal(s) when the month rolls over.
- By Date: Budget and spend up to this amount by a given date. For example, set a goal to budget $1000 for Christmas gifts by December and spend from those budgeted funds each time you purchase a gift leading up to that date. YNAB will prompt you to budget a certain amount each month to stay on track to meet your goal. You can even choose to repeat this goal, up to every two years.
Target Savings Balance
Set an amount to have available in a category, with or without a target date! If you choose to set a date, YNAB will prompt you to budget so that you will have that amount available in that category by the given date. If you choose not to set a date, there isn't a way to be off track, so there won't be an alert if you're short of your goal. You will, in both scenarios (date or no date), see your goal progress when you select the category. For example, set a goal to have $20,000 budgeted for a house down payment and YNAB will help you track your progress.
Monthly Savings Builder
Budget this amount each month to build your savings. For example, set a goal to budget $400 each month towards a new car, so that down the road (pun intended), you have funds ready for it when you need them.
With both the Needed for Spending: By Date and the Target Savings Balance (with Date selected) goals, the target month will be included in the monthly calculation; YNAB will expect you to budget towards that goal in the set month. If you'd like to have those dollars set aside by a given month, you may prefer to set the target month as the month prior to when the funds are needed.
Credit Card Payment Categories
- Pay Off Balance by Date: Calculates a monthly amount to budget in order to pay off your credit card debt by a certain date. The amount will adjust if you are making slower or faster progress than your original plan!
- Pay Specific Amount Each Month: Helps you budget a certain amount toward your debt each month—without a target payoff date in mind.
Create a Goal
1. Select a category in your budget and tap the Details icon.
2. Tap Create a goal and select the type of goal.
3. Fill in the details and tap Save Goal!
Change or Delete a Goal
To make changes to a goal you created—or to delete it—tap the blue Edit Goal button toward the bottom of the inspector.