Goals on Mobile
When you set goals, you stay in the game and you keep budgeting. Whether your ambition is to finally pay your electric bill on time or pay for your next car in cash, reaching budgeting goals always feel good. 😎
There are six types of goals: four for spending categories and two for your Credit Card Payment categories.
Plan your Spending
- Monthly: Budget and spend up to this amount each month. For example, set a goal to budget $500 for groceries each month and spend up to $500 in a month. If you don't spend all your budgeted funds in the current month, the remaining amount will contribute to the next month's goal when the month rolls over.
- By Date: Budget and spend up to this amount by a given date. For example, set a goal to budget $1000 for Christmas gifts by December and spend from those budgeted funds each time you purchase a gift leading up to that date. YNAB will prompt you to budget a certain amount each month to stay on track to meet your goal.
Build Your Savings
- Monthly Contribution: Budget this amount each month to build your savings. For example, set a goal to budget $400 each month towards a new car, so that down the road (pun intended), you have funds ready for it should you need them.
- Target Balance: Set an amount to have available in a category, without any date associated with it! Since there isn't a way to be off track, there is no alert if you're short of your goal, but you'll see a progress bar when you select the category. For example, set a goal to have $20,000 budgeted for a house down payment and YNAB will help you track your progress.
Credit Card Payment Categories
- Pay Off Balance by Date: Calculates a monthly amount to budget in order to pay off your credit card debt by a certain date. The amount will adjust if you are making slower or faster progress than your original plan!
- Pay Specific Amount Each Month: Helps you budget a certain amount toward your debt each month—without a target payoff date in mind.
Create a Goal
- Select a category in your budget and tap the Details icon.
Tap Create a goal and select the type of goal.
- Fill in the details and tap Save Goal!
Change or Delete a Goal
To make changes to a goal you created—or to delete it—tap the blue text.