Health Savings Accounts
Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) are tax-advantaged medical savings accounts, and they’re on the rise in popularity. You don’t have to track your HSA in YNAB–after all, that account only has one job and it’s already been assigned! However, if you do want to track those medical expenses, we recommend adding your HSA as a tracking account.
Add a Health Savings Account
- When adding an account for your HSA account, select Other Asset as the account type.
- If you make contributions to your HSA outside of payroll deductions, create a category in your budget for those contributions.
- You’ll budget for any HSA contributions you make from your checking account in that category and enter a transfer from your checking account to your HSA account to record the contribution.
- Contributions made from your payroll deductions should be entered directly into your HSA tracking account as an inflow.
- When it comes time to cover a medical expense using your HSA, enter the amount as an outflow and include a memo.