Whether you'd like to receive notifications, or not, you're in control. Here's a deep dive into what notifications we send and how to manage them!
In This Article
- Types of Notifications
- Turning App Notifications on or off using an iPhone or iPad
- Turning App Notifications on or off using an Android Phone
- Badge Notifications
- I'm using an iPhone/iPad and not seeing notifications
Types of Notifications
If you have notifications turned on, there are a few situations where you’ll hear from us with an app or badge notification. An app notification alerts you on your phone to open up your budget, while a badge notification is a prompt within your budget to take action.
- There’s something to take care of in your budget - You’ll receive a notification if there’s something in your budget that’s worthy of your attention:
- Are there new transactions ready to import?
- Do those transactions need to be approved or categorized?
- Did that latest transaction cause cash overspending in your budget?
- Are there steps to be taken to connect your accounts?
- You’ve reached out to our friendly Support Specialists and they’ve just replied - If you reached out to us from within the app, rather than have you sitting in the app waiting, you'll be notified when you've received a response.
- We have a message for you - Occasionally, we use notifications to let you know about things that are on our minds. This could be to tell you that your trial is expiring or to encourage you to keep budgeting.
Turning App Notifications on (or off)
You've set up your budget and want to make sure you don't miss a thing! Here's how to make sure you have app notifications turned on. Or, if you're entering zen mode and would rather not be disturbed. Either way, we've got your back.
How to Manage Notifications on an iPhone or iPad
- Tap the More Menu (three dots icon) in your budget.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Notifications.
- Tap Notifications again.
- Toggle the Allow Notifications switch on or off.
- If you've never turned on notifications for this device, you'll be prompted to enable them during this process.
- Feel free to check out the more granular controls on your device there as well (such as disabling the Badge App Icon).
How to Manage Notifications on an Android Device
Notifications on Android are controlled in the system settings, but if you're on a newer device (Android 8.0, 9.0, or 10.0), you don't need to go hunting through menus to get the job done.
- Long-press the YNAB app icon until a menu pops up.
- Tap on ⓘ App Info.
- Tap Notifications.
- Toggle Show Notifications switch on/off.
- If your device supports it, you can also control what types of notifications you'd like to receive and if you'd like to see a notification dot on your home screen.
Even if you don't want to be interrupted by notifications to your phone, once you open the YNAB app, you'll still be able to see all of the information you need to keep your budget in order:
- Transactions could be ready to import.
- Categories might have overspending.
- Transactions may need to be approved/categorized.
- Your accounts may need to be updated for Direct Import (Look out for the gray “Update” badge on accounts.)
- We may be asking for permission to use in-app notifications
Within the app, you'll see a red dot indicating how many notifications you have.
How to Clear Badge Notifications
- Click on the appropriate tab (displaying the red dot notification).
- Click on the banner you'll see at the top of the screen.
- Follow the prompts there.
I'm using an iPhone/iPad and not seeing notifications
Have you checked that your notifications are turned on, but they're still missing in action? It can be due to how the iOS device itself functions, and your settings. In short, your iOS device limits the resources it allocates to apps that are running in the background, and may be preventing notifications from coming through. Here are some things to check!
How to Troubleshoot Missing Notifications
- Do you frequently force quit the YNAB app after using it? It's no longer considered best practice to do this with apps on either Android or iOS. If that is something you habitually do, try leaving the YNAB app running in the background after you use it. Not only will it help with notifications, but also ensure that your Budget syncs correctly!
- In the Settings app, check that Low Data mode is off by going to Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Low Data Mode (this must be off)
- In the Settings app, check that Low Power mode is off by going to Battery > Low Power Mode (this must be off)
- Follow these steps to make sure that Notifications are turned on.
- Make sure you've given the YNAB app permission to refresh in the background by tapping the gear icon in your budget > Tapping Notifications > Background App Refresh (must be on)
If you've tried the tips above and aren't seeing improvements, please reach out to us at [email protected]