How To Perform A Budget Audit
Have you ever felt that there are more or fewer dollars in your budget than there are in your accounts? We've all been there, and we know just how "fun" that feeling of uncertainty is. You know—"fun" like when you find a spider right before bed, but when you return from grabbing a tissue, it's gone. 😳
While we may not be able to ease your spider-fearing mind (it probably just crawled back to where it came from...right?), we can help you feel more confident in your budget!
A budget audit is a quick and easy way to compare the number of dollars available in your budget to the dollars available in your accounts and ensure that they match.
Follow these steps to verify that the amount in your accounts matches exactly with your budget in YNAB:
Advance to next month's budget or the furthest in the future you can go, if you've been budgeting ahead.
- In the right sidebar, when no categories are selected, you’ll see your Total Available amount, which is the sum of the Available column in your budget.
- Add that to the amount you have in To be Budgeted. Let’s stop here for a minute, just in case your To be Budgeted was negative. If it is, you would need to subtract it from Total Available, because that means you’ve given jobs to money you don’t yet have. As you move forward with your budget, we recommend returning to this month’s budget and budgeting less in a few categories until To be Budgeted is back to a green $0.00
- Take note of the sum of Total Available and To be Budgeted. You may prefer to take a screenshot or write it down.
- Now, add up the cash in your accounts. That includes balances in checking, savings, and cash accounts, plus any positive balances on credit cards, if applicable. Be sure to check through your closed accounts and add any positive balances as well. (If you find a positive balance in a closed account, you may need to delete scheduled transactions and/or reconcile the account.)
- If everything is working as we would expect, your totals in step 4 and 5 should match up exactly, like this:
When Everything Matches
Awesome! You can trust that the dollars in your budget match the dollars in your accounts.
When Things Don't Match Up
If the numbers don't match up, our Support team will be happy to help! Just click the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page, and write a quick note to let us know where things aren't adding up. It's also helpful to enable Support Access ahead of time; that'll grant us temporary read-only access to your budget so that we can get to the bottom of what's happening as quickly as possible!