YNAB Widget for Mobile
The YNAB widget lets you see your favorite categories, and even enter transactions, right from your phone's home screen. Widgets are available on both iOS and Android.
Adding the YNAB Widget on iOS
If you have iOS 14 installed on your Apple device, you can add the YNAB widget by following these steps:
- From the Home Screen, touch and hold a widget or an empty area until the apps jiggle.
- Tap the Add button (➕) in the upper-left corner.
- Select a widget (or search for "YNAB").
- Choose from three widget sizes (small = 1 category, medium = 3 categories, large = 7 categories), then tap Add Widget.
- Tap Done.
Customizing the iOS YNAB Widget
The YNAB Widget will automatically pick your pinned categories to display in your widget. If you don't have any pinned categories, the first categories listed in your budget are chosen by default. You can change the categories used in your widget at any time (it's all about your priorities with YNAB) by following these steps:
- Tap and hold the YNAB widget, and tap Edit Widget.
- Tap the category you want to replace, and select a new category.
- You can rearrange your categories by dragging and dropping them using the hamburger icon (the three horizontal lines to the right of the category name).
Stacks on Stacks on Stacks
The iOS YNAB Widget is also stackable, so you can add it to a Stack with other widgets, or even create multiple YNAB widgets to Stack together (a widget for you, a widget for your partner, everybody gets a widget!).
Adding the YNAB Widget on Android
If you're running Android 7 or newer, you can add the YNAB Widget by following these steps:
- From the Home Screen, touch and hold an empty space, or pinch the screen with two fingers. Depending on your device, you may find that only one of these methods works.
- Tap Widgets, scroll to "YNAB" and tap the icon.
- Touch and hold the YNAB widget you want, then drag it to your preferred space on the Home Screen.
- You'll be prompted to select the categories you want to include, depending on the widget size you selected in step 3 (small = 1 category, large = scrollable list with as many categories as you'd like).
- For a large widget, tap Save after you've selected your categories. If you chose a small widget, you'll be taken back to the Home Screen after you select the category.
Customizing the Android YNAB Widget
Once the Android Widget is active with categories selected, updating it will depend on your Android device. For some newer devices, you can long press the widget and you’ll see an option to “Reconfigure” or similar.
If you don’t have that option, to make a change, delete the widget and re-add it with newly selected categories.
Entering Transactions from the Widget on Mobile
To add a new transaction right from the widget, tap the category you'd like to add a transaction in. YNAB's transaction screen will launch, and you can enter all your purchase details with the category pre-filled. Tapping Save will return you to the YNAB App for more budgeting adventures. You can do this on Android or iOS.