Sometimes you spend from multiple categories in a single transaction (hello, Target 🛒). Not a problem, that's where a split transaction comes into play.
How to Enter a Split Transaction
- Click Add Transaction or double-click to edit an existing transaction.
- Enter the payee.
- In the category field, click the blue Split (Multiple Categories) button.
- Enter the total outflow or inflow in the top line.
- Now, on each line that follows, select a category and enter the corresponding amount. Keep going until you've entered everything.
- If there is any amount remaining next to "Amount remaining to assign" when you click Save YNAB will prompt you to auto-distribute the remainder to each of the splits (or go back and actively assign it yourself). Auto-distributing the remainder allows you to proportionally distribute any sales tax to each part of the split.
Multiple Payees, One Transaction
Have you ever decided to withdraw cash at the same time as paying for a purchase? What about when one student loan payment goes to more than one account? YNAB has you covered!
In the web app, you can enter a different payee for each split in a split transaction, if needed 🤯
To do that, click on the payee field of the part of the split with a different payee, and enter the correct payee there:
Two Views: Expand or Collapse
In your account registers, you'll notice an arrow next to the top line of your split transaction. (Where it says "Split (Multiple Categories)...")
You can expand or collapse individual split transactions by clicking on that arrow—and your browser will even remember the way you left it.
There's another way!
You can also enter split transactions in the YNAB mobile apps. Check out our Split Transactions on Mobile help doc for more details.