When the Month Rolls Over
One day, probably more than one day but less than 32 days after you start (okay, definitely less, definitely), the month is going to “roll over”.
Changes in your Budget
Some of the signals in your budget will change, so let’s get you prepared for that:
First, what won't change: Any positive Available amounts in your categories will … still be sitting there, just where you left them.
Categories that were overspent (had a negative Available) at the end of the month will change. In fact, in the new month, the Available will now show as a gray zero.
- If your category had been overspent in cash (negative red Available), that amount will be deducted from To be Budgeted in the new month.
- If your category had been overspent in credit (negative yellow Available), the amount you overspent will be represented as an increased balance of your credit card account. If you can't cover this overspending in the month it happens, you'll need to budget directly to the Credit Card Payment category to pay back the debt.
Getting Started in the New Month
You'll also notice that your Budgeted amounts are set to $0 (if you didn't budget in the future). When more income is added to your budget, you can give every dollar a job until your To Be Budgeted balance is $0 again. You'll notice the Budgeted column contains the money you've budgeted in the current month. Your Available amounts reflect the total you have available in each category to spend.
When a new month starts:
- Check for a negative number in your To Be Budgeted balance. If there is a negative amount, remove money from your categories until the To Be Budgeted balance is back to $0.
- Check over your categories to make sure that your Available amounts reflect your priorities. Move money around if needed.
- A new month is always a good opportunity to check over your account balances and make sure they're reconciled, although we encourage everyoneto create a budget routine and reconcile more often!
- The amounts in your Budgeted column will be 0, because you haven't budgeted anything yet in the new month. If you move money out of a category (to a different category or up to To Be Budgeted), you'll see a negative amount in the Budgeted column for that category. This is perfectly okay! You can read more about this in our Negative Budgeted article.